What is the rules and regulation of Islamic marriage
Assalamu Alaikum Brother.
I am an Indian and I am going to marry on December. In India while wedding Muslims are following other religion customs. I would like to know what is the rules and regulation of Islamic marriage.
Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.
Brother, thank you for your question.
First of all, it should be clear that marriage, in Islam, is a solemn contract for which the Shari`ah lays down rules and arrangements to guarantee its stability.
In order for marriage to be recognized as valid it must fulfill the following requirements:
1. The Marriage must be expressed in clear and unequivocal terms signifying the full of consent of both male and female either in words or writing.
2. It should be witnessed by two reliable Muslim witnesses.
3. It should also be publicized.
4. The consent of the girl's guardian should be got.
5. A dower should be paid for the bride.
Having elaborated the above, I'd say that your phrase "In India while wedding, Muslims are following other religion customs", is not clear. Do you mean that some Muslims follow traditions of other religious communities? Or do you mean that some Muslims celebrate their marriage in a non-Muslim way? So, it was far better to clarify what you exactly mean by such a phrase.
All in all, Muslims should stick to the ethics of their religion and avoid borrowing un-Islamic traditions or values.
Allah Almighty knows best.